There is never a bad time for cake. Think about it. Whether you are at a funeral or have lost your job, a slice of sweet fluffy goodness always makes things better.
When I first started working in an office I was shocked at how awkward most interactions are.
In the hospitality industry your workmates are personable and attractive. Switch to an office environment and the pool of people who have social skills diminishes considerably. Which is why there is nothing better than cake at the office. What better way to unite a group of people who have literally nothing in common but a stomach?
It doesn’t matter how much of a bitter bitch you are, throw cake into the mix and everyone is friends. Unless you miss out. Then shit’s going to get real.
Five situations only made possible by cake:
1) Calling something moist. Seriously, it’s the only time the word moist is appropriate.
2) Everyone needs a Bruce Bogtrotter moment. Remember when Brucey was forced to eat an entire giant cake as punishment for stealing Miss Trunchbull’s prized slice? How many of us have gone back for seconds or thirds and then felt violently ill.
3) Bad cake is still cake. Someone has just had an experimental evening in the kitchen and they’ve brought in the crusty, burnt fruits of their labour. Although you tell yourself you wont eat any, you’ll hit 3pm and after speaking to Marian from finance about her tinea and you’ll need something, anything, that will make the world a better place.
4) On a diet? Not anymore! That delicious slice of lard will taste way better than your quinoa salad.
5) The saying “I love you like a fat kid love cake”. I know childhood obesity is a serious problem but look at this guy:
Marie Antoinette may have had her head lopped off but she was onto something. Cake does make everything better, especially in a professional environment.
Except when it looks like this…
For more hilariously bad cakes see cake wrecks.